How to Make Group Video Calls
One of the best ways to keep in touch with our distant friends, loved ones or even coworkers is through group video calls. This is especially useful now that governments all around the world are asking their citizens to stay home in quarantine due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
In this OneHOWTO article, we are going to explain how to make group video calls and the best apps to make group video calls for Android, iPhone and even through your computer.
Group video calls on Whatsapp
Whatsapp is one of the most used messaging apps in the world, so it's likely that you will have no problem agreeing to meet through this app with your friends. Before starting your group video call, make your phone is connected to a WiFi, as live videos consume a large amount of mobile data.
Although Whatsapp has a great advantage, since most of your friends and family are probably already familiar with this app, it also has disadvantages. The only two disadvantages when making a group video call is that video calls via Whatsapp accepts up to four people. Therefore, if you're a larger group, this app is not for you. Another disadvantage is that you can only make video calls with your mobile phone. There is no option to video call people through Whatsapp Desktop.
Nevertheless, if these two factors aren't a problem for you then Whatsapp is a great choice. Follow these simple steps to make your Whatsapp group call:
- Create a group chat with the people you wish to video group chat. On an iOS, you will find this option at the top of the screen, where it says "Create group". On an Android phone, you will have to press the chat button located in the lower right corner and then choose "New group".
- Once the group is created, tap the call icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- The group members you can call will be displayed. Select them and choose the video camera icon to make a group video call.
Wondering what to name your Whatsapp group? Check out our article on the best and funniest group chat names.
Group video calls on Skype
Skype was one of the first applications to offer video calling services, so it is undoubtedly one of the most reliable resources when it comes to video conferences. In addition, Skype allows you to video call using your mobile phone or on your computer.
Both Skype and Whatsapp are completely free. However, Skype offers paid services if you wish to make calls to mobile phone numbers. To make group video calls on Skype, follow these simple steps:
- Find the contact you want to call from your contact list.
- Select it to open the chat and select the video camera button to start a video call.
- Add another participant by pressing the contact icon with a "+" sign.
- In audio calls, you can add up to 50 participants. In video calls, this will depend on the capacity of your device.
If you want to know more about how Skype functions, be sure to visit our article how to make Skype calls.
Group video calls on Facetime
If your group of friends or coworkers use Apple devices, one of the most practical ways to communicate is through Facetime. It works very well between iPhone, iPad and iMac. It's also not necessary to download extra applications to use it.
You can initiate calls through the Facetime app or through the Messages app. In any case, you will need an iPhone model 6s or newer as well as an iOs 12.1.4 or newer operating system. You can make calls of up to 32 people and use effects, animojis and memojis.
Once you are in the Facetime app, follow these easy instructions:
- Select the "+" icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Type the contact (you can use the name, phone number, or email address) that you want to add to the call.
- You can add multiple people at the same time.
- Select the audio or video button to start the call.
- If you want to add more people, tap the "+" icon on the call screen and select Add person.
- Enter the contact you want to add and select Add someone to Facetime.
If you are in the Messages app, you will only have to do the following steps:
- Create a group or enter the group conversation where you want to have the call.
- Tap the contact bubbles at the top of the screen.
- Next, a menu with 3 options will be displayed: audio, Facetime and information. Choose Facetime.
- Start the call.
Group video calls on Messenger
Another popular messaging app is Facebook Messenger. A couple years ago, Facebook decided to incorporate video calls into their applications: Whatsapp, Messenger and even Instagram.
One of the advantages that Messenger has over WhatsApp and Instagram is that it allows making large group video calls. In fact, it allows you to add up to 50 people into your video call. However, once the number of members has reached or exceeded six, the rest of the participants will not be able to use the camera.
As with all the options that we have given you previously, using video calls in a Facebook group is free. Follow these easy steps to start a group call:
- Create a group with the members you want to call or go into the group chat if it is already created.
- Tap the video camera icon to start a video call.
- Then, the people in the group can join the call.
Group video calls on Instagram
Making video calls through Instagram is usually done to catch up with friends and family. It's also easy and free to do. Instagram also allows you to minimize the call window so you can continue to use your phone and other apps as you talk with your friends. You can also add more members once you are already in the video chat. However, it's important to note that Instagram does not allow group chats of more than four people.
To video call your friends through Instagram, follow these easy steps:
- Enter Instagram Direct by tapping the messages icon in the upper right corner of the screen when launching the app.
- Once inside, you will see your chat list. In the upper right corner you will see a camcorder icon that will allow you to start a video chat.
- Select the contacts you want to join the video call.
- Press Start and wait for the call to be answered.
If you're interested in more Instagram topics, read our article on the best Instagram poll questions.
Other apps for video conferencing
We don't necessarily have to settle for the most popular apps for work video conferences or group video calls with friends. There are plenty of less popular apps that have interesting options and are also free. Here are some other great ideas for video calls:
Hangouts is perhaps one of the most practical applications for making video calls for work. This is because you can add all your coworkers to the video call through their work email. If they're in your Gmail contacts, they'll also be in your Hangout contact list. To start a video call in Hangouts, follow these easy steps:
- Go to the Hangouts website.
- Select the video call option in the center of the screen.
- Hangouts will take you to the video calling page. Then, you can start a video call by clicking "Start or join a meeting".
- Enter the name of the meeting and select continue.
- Once you check that your camera and microphone are working correctly, click "Join now".
- You can copy the link of the call and share it with your contacts or manually add them to the video call in the "Add people" option.
You can also start video calls through the Hangouts mobile app. Just select the contact or group with which you want to start the video conference and press the video camera icon in the upper right corner of the chat.
Discord is an application characterized by its option to create entire channels of communication and instant messaging. A company channel can have several chats open for various topics, as well as a specialized chat for video calls. You can also open private groups with friends of up to 9 people with whom you can also make video calls.
HouseParty is one of the most popular and most downloaded group video calling apps at the moment. It belongs to the video game company Epic Games. Although it has been available for a long time, it has now become very popular giving the current coronavirus situation.
With HouseParty you can make calls of up to 8 people. You can also create virtual rooms that allow different users to join the group call. What differentiates this app with the previous ones we've mentioned, is the fact that it allows you to play games such as Trivial, Who's Who or Pictionary. Helping make video calls with friends even more fun!
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Group Video Calls, we recommend you visit our Internet category.