How to Mute Whatsapp Groups for IPhone and Android Phones
WhatsApp has become a well-known application for sending text messages between mobile devices. One reason for its popularity is that, once the application is downloaded it sends messages for free. One of its top functions is the ability to create group chats and thus always be connected with friends from work, university or whichever other circle of friends you may have.
However, sometimes you receive so many messages and simply wish to turn off the notifications. In this OneHOWTO article you will learn how to silence group notifications on WhatsApp.
What mute on Whatsapp does
Before we begin, you should know what mute on Whatsapp does. Although many people believe that they will not recieve messages form the group if they mute it, this is not true. Muting your group chat will simply unable notifications. In other words, you will not be notified every time someone sends a message. Instead, you will need to go into the application by yourself to see the new messages.
This can be a great relief as sometimes we need to concentrate on what we are working on and the sound of the notifications or our phone buzzing can be quite distracting.
How to mute on Whatsapp
1. Go into the Whatsapp application on your phone.
2. Then, click the group chat you wish to mute.
3. Now you can click on the group name, which will open up the group settings.
4. Now you will see the group photo, name and the media shared. Below that, you will see the option "mute notifications"
5. Click on the switch.
6. A pop-up will appear asking you for how long you wish to mute the notifications in the group:
- 8 hours
- 1 week
- 1 year
7. For new Whatsapp version (from 2.17.107 onwards) you can also choose to stop receiving push notifications on your screen. This means that you will mute the instant buzz or sound notification and also the notification that appears on the top of your mobile's screen. You will need to get into the whatsapp application on your own account to see if there are new messages.
If you're interested in learning how to change the administrator in a group chat or learn how to stop being the administrator, check this oneHOWTO article on how to change the administrator of a Whatsapp group.
You may also find it useful to read how to know how many megabytes Whatsapp uses.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Mute Whatsapp Groups for IPhone and Android Phones, we recommend you visit our Internet category.