How to Remove a Virus on Android
When you get a virus on your Android device you have to act immediately to remove it and minimize any damage to the data stored on it. In this short tutorial we will teach you how to remove an Android virus. If you think your device has been infected, one of the best free antivirus programs for Android is: AVG AntiVirus. Read this oneHOWTO article to learn how to remove a virus on Android.
Use an antivirus to remove a virus on Android
The first option for virus removal for Android, as we've said, is AVG Antivirus. Take a look at this step by step guide to know how to remove a virus on Android with this method:
- The first thing to do is download and install AVG Antivirus from Google Play or via this link: http://www.avg.com/gb-en/antivirus-for-android
- Once you have accepted the permissions, downloaded and installed it, open the application. Activate the application and click on the Protection option.
- Next, on the list of options, click on "Scan Now". This way we'll be able to start an immediate analysis so the program can detect malicious files and get rid of them.
- It will then begin searching for any possible viruses and malware that may be on your Android phone or tablet. When it's finished it will remove all traces of the virus.
A fast and effective way to clean and protect your mobile from future infections.
How to put Android in safe mode
There is another method of virus removal from Android that does not require external apps. This requires to put your Android on safe mode so no third party apps can access your phone. Thus, we're going to show you how to put Android in safe mode first of all.
- First of all, you should press and hold the power button for at least two or three seconds. You will see that the device will ask you if you want to turn off your phone.
- Click on 'Power off', but don't release your finger but wait until the phone asks if you are sure you want to restart your phone on safe mode.
- Click on 'ok'.
- This will not allow you to access any of the apps you have downloaded from the internet.
Different brands that use Android may have different methods of putting your phone in safe mode, so make sure this is the method your brand uses. For example, on Huawei, you'll need the following method:
- Switch your Huawei phone off
- Press the 'on' button and hold.
- When the company logo appears on the screen, release the button.
- Straight after releasing the button, press on the 'Volume down' button.
- Hold the key for the whole time.
- Release the Volume down key when 'Safe mode' appears on the bottom of the screen.
When you are finished with the process, you will need to deactivate your safe mode to be able to use your phone as you normally would. You can find the instructions below.
How to check your phone for viruses
Now you have the safe mode on, it's time to start looking for viruses. Although there are many third party apps that do the job for you such as the aforementioned AVG, you can scan your Android phone for viruses manually for virus removal.
- Once you are on Safe mode, go to your Android phone Settings.
- On this menu find the 'Apps' option.
- Once here, click on the Application manager option.
- Find the apps screen and scroll down the apps you have on your Andorid phone.
- On this list, you should find an app you haven't installed yourself. Make sure it isn't a default app.
- Click on the app, where you should see the option 'Uninstall'.
- If the 'uninstall' option is not allowed, the virus may have requested to have a 'Device administrator status'.
- If this is the case, go to settings and click on the 'Security' option, which you may find in 'advanced settings' depending on the brand of your phone.
- Click on the option 'Device administrators'.
- Here you'll see the virus app has access. Click on it.
- On this screen, you should click on deactivate.
- This will allow you to go back to step 1 and successfully remove a virus on Android.
- Once you're done, you'll need to deactivate the safe mode.It's as easy as switching off your Android phone and switching it on again as you normally would.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Remove a Virus on Android, we recommend you visit our Electronics category.
- It's advisable to run the antivirus once a week on your Android device in order to avoid viruses from getting into your Android phone.
- It's best to use the antivirus when the device is connected to a power supply or is fully charged.
- Remember you should never download any third party apps that may seem dodgy or doubtful. If you are not sure about an app, use the Internet or Google Play comments to find out what people who have downloaded the app say.