How to increase WiFi signal on your router for free
If you have Internet at home that works via Wi-Fi but the signal doesn't get to all the rooms in your house, there are several things you can do to fix it. The first would be to buy repeaters to boost the Wi-Fi signal so it gets to your computer, another option is to get a phone cable to the central part of the house to place the router there and let your computer get the signal, but take a look at the following free option that we propose. In the following OneHowto video we show you how to increase the WiFi signal on your router with a simple coca cola can.
But first! Before we take a look at how to increase the WiFi signal on your router with a coca cola can:take a looka t these tips on how to boost the WiFI signal in your home:
- The first trick to improve the Wi-Fi signal is to ensure that the router is in the best possible place: try to place it in a central area of the house which is roughly the same distance from each room in which you want to connect to the internet. That is, do not put the router at one end of the house and try to connect from the other end. The location of the router is key to boosting WiFi signal.
- There are many devices that interfere and weaken the wireless signal, so it's better if they are kept away from the router: camcorders, cordless phones, microwaves, wireless computer accessories, among others. We know the cordless phone is often placed side by side with router but try to move it away from it if you want to boost WiFi signal.
- Does the router have antennas? Point them towards the devices on which you want to connect to the Internet.
- So the router is in an excellent place, but you can do more. Sometimes the problem is not so much the source of the Wifi, but the device. Go to Start > Control Panel > Internet network (Network in Windows XP) > Network and Sharing Centre > Change Adaptor Settings. Right-click on Wireless Network Connection and click Properties.
- Go to Configure and then to the Advanced Options tab. In the list that appears, go to Mobility Intensity, Performance Improvement and Power Transmission. Place them all at the highest level (in the menu on the right, where it says value).
- In Windows XP: Networks > Properties. Setting button and Advances tab. In the list, select the highest value Power Management and Transmit Power.
If after all this you are still left with a weak signal, you can try to get a new antenna to boost wireless signal. Or, keep reading to find out how to increase your WiFi signal using a coca cola can;
- When you place the can on your rounter, you need to put the hole of the can on the router's antenna and place it so the screen is facing the place where you want to direct the WiFi signal.
- Cut the can carefully, as once you have cut it as you can hurt yourself if you don't do it properly with the small flaps that haven't been cut properly.