How to use a Proxy Server
A Proxy Server is a computer that acts as a security barrier between the Internet and your internal network. This helps in keeping other people on the Internet from obtaining access to those information which are located on your internal network.
In this article we will know how to use a Proxy Server.
Proxy Server for Internet Explorer 6.0
- Open Internet Explorer 6.0 and then click on the 'Tool menu', which you'll be able to see on the upper right hand corner. Then click on the option – Internet.
- Then click the tab named 'Connections' and then click on the tab called 'LAN settings'.
- Below the Proxy Server click on the check box in which 'Use a proxy server for your LAN' is written.
- Now type the IP address of the proxy server into the Address box.
- Then type the port number used by the proxy server for 'client connection' in the Port box.
- To close the LAN settings dialog, click on 'OK'.
- Again click on OK to close the Internet Options dialog box.
Proxy Server for Mozilla Firefox 3.0
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- There are 'Firefox options' on the upper – left hand corner. Click on the 'Tools menu' there and then select 'Options'.
- Now click on the tab named 'Advanced'. Then click on 'Network' and then click on 'Settings'.
- Now you have to choose the 'manual proxy configuration' option. To do so, you'll need to enter the proxy server IP address in the HTTP proxy field. Fill it in with the port number in the port field.
- Finally click on 'OK' to finish.
Proxy Server for Netscape 8.1
- First of all, go to the 'Tools Menu'.
- Then choose 'Options'.
- The next step is to click on 'General' and then choose 'Connection Settings'.
- Now check the 'Manual Proxy Configuration'.
- Here you'll have to add the proxy server’s IP address properly in the 'HTTP Proxy' box and the proxy port into the 'port' box.
- Finally click on OK to finish.
Proxy Server for Safari in Windows
- First of all, open Safari.
- Then click on the gear situated in the upper – right corner of your Safari browser. Then select 'preference'.
- After that, click on the 'Advanced' tab.
- Then click on the 'Change Settings' button.
- Now, click on 'Connections'. There click on the 'LAN settings' button.
- Then click on the checkbox beside “Use a proxy server for your LAN” option and enter the proxy IP address and port number.
- Now click on 'OK'.
- Again click on 'OK' in the 'Internet Options' window.
You can also learn how to set Google as your home page in Safari.
Proxy Server for Opera 8.5
- On Opera 8.5 the first thing you'll need to do is click on the 'Tools' menu.
- Then choose 'Preferences'.
- Then click on the 'Advanced' tab and click on Proxy Servers.
- Now click on the checkbox by HTTP.
- Then add the IP address of the proxy server in the top box. In the box next to “Port”, enter the proxy’s port.
- Finally click on 'OK'.
Proxy Server for Google Chrome
- First of all, open Google Chrome.
- On the upper – right corner there is a wrench. Click on it and select 'Settings'.
- At the bottom of the screen click on the “Show advanced settings…” button.
- Then click on “Change proxy settings…” button.
- Near the bottom of the window click on the 'LAN settings'.
- Click on the checkbox right beside “Use a proxy server for your LAN” and then enter the proxy IP address and port number.
- Now click on 'OK'.
- Finally click on OK again in the Internet Options window.
You can also learn how to delete cookies from Google Chrome. If you'd like to know more, please visit our Internet section.
If you want to read similar articles to How to use a Proxy Server, we recommend you visit our Internet category.