How to Put Formulas in Excel for a whole Column
If you use Excel on regular basis then you know how important formulas are. They are used in about every occasion and hence there are numerous columns which work on similar formula. Applying the same formula to each cell in that row is quite a tedious process. It would become much easier if we apply trick so that one input of formula works for the whole column. If you want to know the trick then keep reading this OneHowTo article How to put formulas in excel for a whole column.
Through AutoFill handle
To apply a single formula to the whole column, dragging the Autofill handle is the most common method.
- To use this trick at first select the Formulas tab. There click on calculation options. Then click on Automatic. This will cause the formula to calculate the value automatically.
- Now choose the formula you want to apply on the entire column.
- Then type the formula that you want to apply in the first Cell.
- Next step is to drag the AutoFill Handle down to the number of cells in the column you want to cover. AutoFill is a rectangle shaped box which can be dragged through its corners.
- That’s it. The formula is now applied to the entire column.
If you are tired of dragging through the whole column then this method will help you in achieving the same result without dragging.
- At first open an Ms Excel file. Under the home tab, go to the rightmost box on the Excel Ribbon. There you will find the option Fill under AutoSum.
- Now choose the formula you want to apply to the entire column and then type it into the first cell of that column.
- Then select the entire column by clicking on the alphabet above the column and then click on fill. There select the option Down.
- This will apply the formula to the entire column.
Through Shortcut Keys
If you don’t want to use Fill option and also don’t want to drag through the AutoFill then you can use Shortcut keys to use one formula for a whole column.
- First enter the formula in the first cell of the column in which you want to apply the formula.
- Then select the whole column by clicking on the alphabet on the top of the column.
- Then press Ctrl + Enter i.e. press the Control key and the Enter key together. Now the formula is applied to the whole column.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Put Formulas in Excel for a whole Column, we recommend you visit our Software category.