How to Zip a File: Mac and PC
Whether it is downloading files from Internet or receiving files through mail, we have often come across zip file. A Zip file can be identified by their extension: .zip or .sit. They are very useful as these files are compressed and hence a large number of files take less space and are easy to download or upload from platforms such as WeTransfer. Any files can be compressed or zipped in both Mac and PC. Keep reading this OneHowTo article to find out How to zip a file: Mac and PC.
Zip a file in Mac
- Mac files can be zipped on Finder. You will find the 'Finder' icon on the dock and looks like a blue colored square face. Click on it to open it.
- After opening the Finder, choose the files that you want to compress. To select one file click on that file. To select multiple files hold the 'command' button and then click one by one on all the files that you want to compress.
- After selecting the files, bring the cursor on one of the files and right click on it. If your mouse has only one button then simply hold the control and then click on the file.
- The right click on the file will open a menu. From this menu select 'Compress'.
- If you have a few files then they would be compressed quickly. But if you have selected a number of files then you have to wait some time for the process to complete.
- After compression the filename of the compressed file will be same as the selected file or folder with extension of .zip.
Zip a file in PC
- If you want to zip a file on a PC then at first, choose the file or files you want to compress. To choose a single file, click on that file. To choose multiple files, hold the control button and then click one by one on all the files you want to compress.
- If you have selected a single file then put the cursor on the file and right click on it. If you have selected multiple files then bring the cursor on one of the file and right click on it.
- The right click on the file will open a menu. From this menu select Send to.
- Then a sub menu will open from which you should select 'Compressed (zipped) folder'.
- That’s it, your file/files would be zipped i.e compressed with the same filename as earlier and with extension .zip.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Zip a File: Mac and PC, we recommend you visit our Software category.