How to Go Live with a Friend on Instagram
The latest social media app to add the live option has been Instagram. Just like other apps such as Periscope, Facebook or Snapchat, Instagram has been offering Live stream videos on the Instagram Stories feature since version 10.0. Broadcasting with your friends is pretty easy if you have the latest update of the app installed. At oneHOWTO we'd like to take a closer look at how to go live with a friend on Instagram.
The first step to go live with a friend on Instagram is to go to the PlayStore or AppStore and search for the 'Instagram ' app. This will ensure you have the correct version of Instagram that allows you to go live with friends, which is 184.108.40.206.201, which was last updated on 20th November 2017. If you see the 'update' button available, then click on it to download this latest version.
When the app has been updated the latest Live feature for your Instagram stories will be available. Connect to a Wi-Fi connection if you don't want to use up too much data, as it does take up a lot of it.
The next time you open your Instagram app, all of the updates from the 24.0 version will be available for you and you'll be able to go live with a friend!
The first step will be exactly the same as when you started a usual live video or any of the Instagram stories options. Just as a fresh reminder or if you have never used this Instagram feature. Go to the top left part of the Instagram feed screen, where you'll find a camera logo. Click on it.
Now you are on the Instagram stories panel, you should click on the 'Live' tab, which is at the bottom left of the screen, right next to the 'normal' option, which will appear as your default stories option.
Now, you'll see a big white button appear on the bottom of the screen, reading 'Start Live Video'. You can click on it in order to start the live videos. Instagram will notify those friends of yours who have the 'Push notifications' option switched on.
Once you are live, you'll see a logo with two faces appear. superimposed one on top of the other. A list of the people who are watching your live video will appear. Choose the friend you want to go live with.
You will have to wait for your friend to accept the invitation to go live.
Once the person has accepted your request, you'll see that the screen will have divided into two, with your friend at the other side.
You should know that you can only go live with those friends that are currently watching your Instagram live stream.
How will your friends know that you are live with a friend? Apart from the push notifications your friends will receive, each person will see the Instagram stories feed on the top of their screen. Your picture will appear in a red circle with your friend's profile picture next to it in a round circle too on top of yours. This is how others will detect that you are live with someone else.
To stop sharing your Instagram live stories with a friend, you will just need to click on the 'x' on the top right part of the screen. You can also easily disable comments by clicking on the three dots on the right part of the 'comments' section at the bottom of the screen. Click on 'disable comments' to do so.
We'd like to note that it's important to learn who can view your live stories, especially if you have a public account:
- Go to the 'Options' tab, which is at the top right of your feed or profile screen.
- Scroll down to find the 'Stories settings' tab
- Here you'll be able to choose who sees your stories, including those that are shared with a friend. You can either choose to hide it from certain users and choose who can reply to your story through messages.
- As a default option, your followers and your friend's followers will be able to view your shared Instagram live stories.
Ideas to use shared Instagram live stories
Now that you now how to go live with a friend on Instagram, let's take a look at some ideas to make your lives on Instagram stories more creative and engaging:
- Shared Instagram stories are a great way to have a Q & A. Play 21 questions or similar with your friend to entertain your followers and get to know your friend more. This is also a great tool for media accounts to have live interviews for their followers.
- Play fun games, such as asking your followers to comment with fun questions and both of you have to answer at the same time, making sure you don't both have the same answer.
- Play with your surroundings and be creative by inventing a story that has continuation on both screens to entertain your followers.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Go Live with a Friend on Instagram, we recommend you visit our Internet category.