How to Block Someone on Telegram For Android and iPhone
Sometimes it takes blocking a contact to make sure they leave you in peace. Thankfully, we have the ability to block people on all social media apps, including Telegram.
In this oneHOWTO article we're going to explain how to block someone on Telegram For Android and iPhone. We'll give you easy-to-follow steps and include photos and videos! Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about blocking someone on Telegram.
Before knowing about the block option in Telegram let’s have a look at some of the features in this app which makes it unique from other messaging apps:
- Telegram is open source and totally ad free.
- It is cloud based and it has automatic syncing which means you can manage it even from your desktop browser.
- Its messages are heavily encrypted, which makes it very safe. The creators of the app have even offered a reward of $200,000 to the person who can crack their encryption.
- Telegram offers the option of creating a group with up to 200 contacts.
- It provides the option of blocking message forwarding i.e. you can block someone from forwarding your messages
- Telegram’s secret chat uses end-to-end encryption and it doesn’t leave any trace on the servers. That means once you delete the secret chats you can never retrieve them. It even notifies if someone takes a screenshot and gives you the option to set any secret chat to self-destruct.
You may also be interested in our article about why Telegram is better than Whatsapp.
How to block someone on Telegram for Android
Telegram is widely used among many Android users as it is a very safe and free messaging app with some unique features. If you want to block someone on Telegram using an Android device, follow these easy steps:
- Go into the Telegram app on your Android device.
- Tap on the 3-line icon on the top left corner.
- Now go into “Settings” and then “Privacy and Security”.
- Tap on “Blocked Users” and then “Add Block User”.
- Now you can simply choose who you wish to block.
You can also take a look at the screenshots included below and follow along with the steps. If you're an Android user, we also encourage you to read our article about how to stop apps from automatically downloading on Android.
How to block someone on Telegram for iPhone or iPad
If you have an iPhone or an iPad with Telegram, there is another way to block a contact. Follow these simple instructions to block someone on Telegram using an iPhone or iPad:
- Go into the Telegram app on your Apple device.
- Tap and hold the chat you have with the contact you wish to block.
- Now the chat will be selected with a small green icon with a check mark on it. Tap on the 3 dot icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the last option “Block user”.
- Now confirm the pop-up message by tapping “Block user” once again.
You can also take a look at the screenshots included below and follow along with the steps. If you're an iPhone user, we also encourage you to read our article about how to save megabytes on iPhone.
What will the blocked contact see?
Once you block someone, they will not be able to contact you through Telegram. You can also unblock them whenever you want by going to your privacy settings - blocked users and unblocking the contact you no longer wish to block.
As we've previously explained, Telegram works a little different to other messaging apps. They are very safe, discreet and careful with their messages and their cyber security. Therefore, if you block someone on Telegram you can feel reassured that Telegram will make sure they cannot contact you through the app. So, what will they see if you block them?
If you block someone on Telegram, they will see:
- Their message will only have one check mark, instead of two, indicating that you have not received it.
- If you chose to also delete the conversation, it will be deleted for them too.
- They can no longer see your real status, even if you are online, all they will see is “last seen a long time ago”.
- They can no longer see your profile photo.
- If they try to call or video call you, the call will not be completed and they will see a message that says “Sorry, you cannot call *name* because of their privacy settings”.
You may also be interested in our article about what happens if you block someone on Instagram.
How to know if you've been blocked on Telegram
Lastly, if you see these issues occurring when trying to contact someone on Telegram, it is likely that they have blocked you through this app. Keep in mind that if this contact has deleted their account, Telegram will notify you by having “Deleted account” on the chat. If you do not see this and you still cannot contact them, even by calling, it is probable that they have blocked you.
Learn more in our article about how to know if someone blocked you on Telegram.
We also include this video of how to block and unblock someone on Telegram. This way, you can follow along with our instructions and screenshots above or with this video.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Block Someone on Telegram For Android and iPhone, we recommend you visit our Electronics category.