How to Mute Someone on Skype
There is definitely more than one reason for you to want to mute someone on Skype, whether it is due to an urgent situation that needs to be handled, somebody being too annoying on your Skype chat, or want to silence a certain user in a multi-speaker conference, then there are ways in which you can do so, you just need to make sure you know what it entails. Keep on reading this oneHOWTO article to know how to mute someone on Skype.
How to mute someone on Skype during a call
The first option we have to mute someone on Skype is to actually mute the voice of the person while you are Skyping with them and having a conversation. This will keep you connected visually, but you won't be able to hear what the other person is saying to you. Follow these simple steps to do so:
- Once you are in a conversation on Skype (whether tablet, smartphone or PC), click on the 'Call' tab at the top of your Skype app.
- Find the 'Audio settings' tab.
- A new window will appear. There, click on 'Audio settings'.
- On this window, you'll find the 'Speakers' settings. Here is where you'll be able to push the volume down so you can keep on talking while listening to something else that is not the current conversation.
How to mute all Skype calls from a specific person
If you're tired of the Skype tone ringing because one of your users won't stop calling you but you still don't want to block them, then there is also an option for you too. However, this will mute the sound for all Skype calls you get, as there is still not an option to customize each sound.
- Log in to your Skype account
- Click on the 'Call' tab
- Next, click on the 'Audio settings' option
- When it's open, click on 'Notification settings'
- You will find several boxes you can tick, which will let skype know when you want certain sounds to appear.
- Take the tick off the 'Ringtone' box.
This is a great option if you don't want to be disturbed by any Skype calls, though your best option if you only want to mute a specific person is to block them.
How to mute Skype chat
If the sound of every single instant message (IM) is getting on your nerves, there are also ways to mute a Skpye chat as you can do with other IM tools such as Whatsapp. Follow these simple steps:
- As with the options above, sign in to your Skype account.
- Go to 'Call'
- Click on 'Audio settings'
- Go to the 'notification settings' window and, this time get rid of the ticks reading 'incoming IM in recent chat' and 'incoming IM in current chat'.
Muting spammers or unknowns Skype contacts
At some point you may find that unwanted people try to contact you through Skype, though you should know that, if you don't accept them as a contact, you can mute them from your Skype account.
- Once you are logged in to Skype, click on the 'Options' panel.
- Go to the 'Privacy settings'.
- Here, you'll only have to tick on 'People in my Contact list only' if you want to mute the rest. This will prevent people who you don't know to contact you via IM or call.
If you'd like to read similar articles to How to Mute Someone on Skype, we recommend you browse around our Internet category.