What Happens When I Block Someone on Twitter
Twitter is one of the most used and popular social networks in the world. Not only does Twitter give you immediate access to important news but it offers you the opportunity to view public opinion trends and maintain direct interaction with public figures, just by knowing their username! The downside to that freedom also means that anyone who knows what your Twitter username is, regardless of whether you follow them or not, can contact you directly. This form of contact, when frequent, can be very irritating for some people.
Are you wanting to block someone on Twitter or have you already blocked someone on Twitter? If so, keep reading here at oneHOWTO to find out what happens if you block someone on Twitter?
The first thing to keep in mind is that Twitter's policy on blocking is transparent. In simple, when you block a user on Twitter, they will not receive a notification that you have done so. By blocking someone on Twitter, it means that if that person tries to enter your profile to see your Tweets the user will be informed that he or she is blocked,with a notice which states that they can no longer follow or see your tweets.
So, a Twitter user will have to physically click on your Twitter account to know that they have been blocked on Twitter. This means that many times, a person won't know that a certain user has blocked them.
For more, you may also be interested in reading our article where we discuss how to know if someone deactivates their Twitter account.
When you block someone on Twitter :
- That person will automatically stop being a follower, so their account will no longer appear in your contacts.
- Furthermore, you are also removed from their Twitter follower list.
- If that person is in one of your lists, he or she will automatically be deleted from it.
- In addition the user will also be unable to re-tweet any of your posts.
- If the user were to suspect that he or she is no longer following you and tries to follow you again by entering your profile, they will know that they have been blocked.
- If the person you have blocked tag you in a twitter post, you will not be able to see this tag.
- If a person you follow RTs the person you have blocked, this specific tweet will be visible.
- If you decide to follow the unblocked Twitter profile again, and the person hasn't blocked you, the person will be able to re-follow you.
- The blocked person will not be able to find any of your tweets through the Twitter search engine.
- The blocked person will not be able to tag you on any pictures he or she posts.
For more, read how to tell if a Twitter account is fake.
But the big question when you block someone on Twitter is: can a blocked Twitter account continue reading my tweets? The answer is simple: as long as this person is connected to twitter with the account you blocked, he or she will not see any of your posts.
However, if the person closes his or her twitter session and decides to google your Twitter username, this will give them access to your timeline data. So, generally speaking, to know if a person you have blocked can still see your tweets, the answer is yes, it is still possible for anyone to view your tweets, they just won't be able to interact with you in any way through their Twitter account.
The only case in which this would not be possible, is if you had a private profile on Twitter. If you make your Twitter account private, only your followers can see what you tweet. So if you really don't want somebody to read one of your tweets, the only way to be 100% sure is to delete your tweets or even delete your Twitter account.
If, on the other hand, this person decides to create another Twitter account, they will be able to follow you again. If this person is harassing you through Twitter or any other form of social media, the best thing to do is to report each of the accounts to Twitter. If this does not work, we recommend reporting it to the police as a form of internet harassment.
Now you know what happens if you block a user on Twitter, you can choose to do this to stop unwanted contact with a user. Bear in mind, however, that they will still be able to view your tweets if they really want to, unless you set your profile to private.
Do you want to know how to view blocked twitter accounts? Take a look at your Twitter block list. To do this:
- Log onto Twitter
- Click onto your profile
- Click onto your settings & privacy (top-right hand corner)
- Click on blocked accounts
And there you go!
For more, you may be interested in reading how to change your Twitter username.
If you want to read similar articles to What Happens When I Block Someone on Twitter, we recommend you visit our Internet category.