How to Make White Backgrounds on Instagram Photos
Instagram isn't just a place to share photos and videos. It is a place to have your photos and videos seen. This means creating visual content which is arresting and engaging. Unfortunately, just as in an art gallery or home wall space, how the image is presented is important as well as it's content. A range of filters help clean up untidy aspects or keep your uniform style intact. When it comes to proportion, sometimes all an image needs is a border to avoid that annoying cropping effect. Whether placing your image on a white background or adding a border, you want to know the best way to present your picture. This is why oneHOWTO explains how to make white backgrounds on Instagram photos, to get that 1:1 square aspect ratio back or just to frame your pic.
Add a white border with the Instagram app
Instagram is always subject to updates, but some of the ones we can actually be bothered with are those which add more editing options. If you have the latest version installed on your smartphone or device, then there is an option to add your own white border. For the easiest way to add a white background to your Instagram images, follow these steps:
- Tap the button to upload a picture and choose an image from your photo library.
- If you want to make the image square, you can place the image in the square window by placing your thumb and forefinger into the center of the image and move your fingers out towards the borders of the screen.
- Tap next to goto the editing stage. You can edit the image manually, but there are different filters to choose from for automatic editing. Choose any filter by tapping once, then double tap to go through to another menu.
- This new menu has a fader option which allows you to change the intensity of the filter up to 100%. To the fight of the fader is a square button. Tap this once and it will put a white border around your picture.
The border appears whether or not the image is square, so it is not limited to this shape. Also, if you want the image to have a white border, but you don't want to use the filter, simply turn the fader down to 0% This way you can have the border without the filter, but you can still manually edit it using the edit options.
Unfortunately, while the option on the Instagram app is easy, it is also limited and only gives you so many options to edit the image. If you want to have more options, then we suggest a third party app which can be used to add a white background or border, but also has more options for a bespoke style.
How to Use Whitagram
The Whitagram app can be used to preserve the dimensions of a portrait or landscape photograph. Using Whitagram you can make your photos look cinematic. Whitagram is used when a person needs to show the original landscape aspect ratio of a photo. What this app does is it adds a white "letterbox" to a portrait or landscape photo, thus filling the background with white - just as in the picture below.
You can also replace white with any other color of your choice. This helps in showing the full widescreen effect of the iPhone without having to crop the edges by Instagram. Basically, Whitagram makes a photo square by filling the background with white or another colour. The Whitagram app also allows adding frames and stickers along with creating some basic special effects. If you have the paid version of Whitagram then you can also add labels to the photo.
The white background on Instagram photos can also be added by Squaready. This helps in maintaining the original rectangular dimension and the impact of the photo in Instagram and will be really useful to make your own Christmas cards with Instagram. Squaready can be used in the following ways:
- At first open the desired rectangular photo in Squaready by selecting the import icon. To do this, select the import icon.
- Then you have to select the import source. This indicates the source from which you will import the photo. For example, if your photo is already in your iPhone then you should select the ‘Albums’ option. If you want to upload a photo after selecting it, use the Camera+ option.
- Now you need to create a layout for the photo. For this there are icons at the bottom of the screen. To add white margins on the side of your photo you should select the middle option.
- The option on the right will allow you to add extra white space on all four sides of the image. There are three different margin widths from which you can choose.
- The option on the left allows you to switch between two equal margins on either side of the photo, one large margin at the bottom or one large margin at the top.
- After the layout is created, click on the export icon at the top right hand corner. You can save the photo to Camera Roll or send it directly to Instagram by choosing the Instagram option.
Photo background for Instagram
As its name suggests this app is solely created to make borders for your pictures so they fit in the Instagram square format. This straight forward name belies a straight forward approach. It's one of the simplest apps to use for white background on Instagram. Not only will you be able to add white borders to vertical and horizontal pictures, you'll also be able to try out other patterns for your border such as stripes and even create a frame with other shapes.
This app also has its own filters and color selection so you know what color frame will make your picture stand out even more. While it is helpful to use this app for white backgrounds on Instagram photos, it is also great for getting creative.
If you're a fashion blogger, Instagram fitness model or just love overhead shots, this app tocreate white backgrounds may be just what you're looking for. It has up to 8 aspect ratios to crop your picture and its white balance feature will help you blend the edges with the pic. It is available for both Android and iPhone, and is one of the most professional tools (after VSCO), as it has features such as a selective filter brush, HDR and a healing tool. It is also great to edit pictures directly from a camera as it can edit RAW DNG pictures, so you won't lose any quality in your shot!
One of the most popular photo editing apps which are perfect for Instagram is VSCO. This free app has a great range of options as well as actively supporting its users through its #VSCOvoices tag on its account. This way they share images created using the app and help people to spread their reach. It's not just mutually beneficial, it shows how assured VSCo are in the quality of their product by sharing the resultant images. The app is free, but does have in-app purchases, so be careful.
Last but not least, Afterlight is the app that celebs use to create white borders and make their pictures look more perfect and clean. This app also allows you to edit your picture in other ways too, so if you're looking for an all-in-one app to edit your Instagram post, this is the app you're definitely looking for. It does retail at $2.99, so it does require a little investment.
If you want to go an extra step further, you can also add music to your Instagram post by following the steps in our article.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make White Backgrounds on Instagram Photos, we recommend you visit our Internet category.